Sunday, April 13, 2014

Jeopardy Game Maker

For those of you who have Smart Boards in your classroom there is this awesome website called: Super Teacher Tools that has a classroom jeopardy game maker. It has cool sound effects and looks like a real jeopardy game. My current class and my last year’s class loved playing jeopardy as a review at the end of a science, social studies, or math unit.

We play jeopardy by first separating the class into teams of 4. I give the teams 5 minutes to come up with a team name and a team cheer. I then remind the class of the jeopardy rules. The main rule is that the team needs to come up with an answer before the timer goes off. The game does have a built in timer and you can adjust the timer to whatever you like, I think 50 seconds is the perfect amount of time. And everyone on the team needs to agree on the answer or else the team does not get the points. I also like the teams to cheer when they get points. I like the Kagan cheers. My favourite Kagan cheer is the one where the students say great, great, great, and pretend to grate cheese, or the round of applause where the students clap in a circle. Or students can make up their own cheer. If you type in “Kagan Cheers” into youtube you can see more cute cheers. The teams then take turns choosing a category and points value until all of the questions have been used. The team with the most points at the end wins.
This game does need to be set up by the teacher before the class can play, and it does take time to type in or copy and paste all of the questions and answers into the game template, but it’s worth doing once in awhile as this is a fun review game.
Check out this Jeopardy game that I made for the end of our plants unit: Plants JeopardyGame

2 comments :

  1. Your posts are wonderful! Great ideas, and Jeopardy always comes in handy for review games :) I have nominated your blog for the Liebster Award! You can find the details in my most recent post. Best of luck with teaching and writing!

    bookandbliss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I'm glad you are enjoying my posts! Jeopardy is always a fun way to review! Best wishes!
    Jessicca

    ReplyDelete