Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Blog Hop: Let's Talk About Communicating With Parents


Welcome to the Blog Hop! Each of the participating teacher bloggers are sharing a Back to School tip, trick, or idea and each participating blogger is also giving away a $25 Teachers Pay Teachers gift card. Read my post about communication with parents and then enter to win a $25 gift card at the bottom of the post! 

Lets talk about Communication with Parents! This is a big topic, and it is always one that is brought up during the teacher job interview. In my experience I have noticed that some teachers dread communicating with parents I think the key to communicating with parents is to get them on your side early. Managing student behaviour in the classroom is much easier if the students know you are on the same page as his or her parent. 

Here are some tips and ideas for getting parents on your side: 

-At the beginning of the school year send home a letter introducing yourself to parents and families. Use this opportunity to give your short bio, write about your homework exceptions, any September events, and invite parents into the classroom. 

-Let parents know that you are here to help their child succeed! 

-If your school is not holding an open house invite parents in for a tea or a meet and greet. 

-Let parents know if you have an open door policy or if you have a set time for parents to come in and volunteer on a daily or weekly basis. 

-Set up a classroom website!  A website that is updated regularly can be an excellent tool for parents to check out what is happening in the classroom and school and also see if there is any homework. I also showcase student work each week on the website so parents can see what we are working on in the classroom and see their child’s work on display. 

-Send newsletters home on same day each week so that parents know to expect a newsletter that day. 

-Phone parents for the good things! Parents dread phone calls from teachers! So why not call because their child did well on a project, or helped out around the classroom in some way? 

-If a parent does not speak English make the effort of finding a translator and if reading is an issue with parent offer to make regular meetings to share about whats going on in the classroom or make regular phone calls, and make sure to personally go over the student’s report card with parents who may have low literacy levels. 

Check out my Back to School: 20 Activities for Back to School  for back to school games, activities, handouts, and ideas. This extensive resource includes a classroom scavenger hunt, a mystery box activity, a what's in my brain activity, and a variety of other fun getting to know you games and icebreakers. 





a Rafflecopter giveaway


Congratulations to Kristen B She was randomly selected as the winner of this giveaway! Happy Shopping Kristen! :) 


Now that you have read my blog hop on over to the next post in the blog hop and enter to win another $25 TPT gift card! Below is the link to  Smith's Safari Adventure


15 comments :

  1. I teach my students how to get on my blog and encourage them to show their parents at home,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I translate all documents going home into Spanish or Arabic for my non-English-speaking parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always send home an introductory letter at the beginning of the year, but this year I added a personal twist and sent home a "flyer" about me to connect to the families :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right. It,s essential to open up communication right away and work all year to make sure to keep in contact. I try to send home a few pictures each week showing my students doing activities at school. The first is a picture of each student holding a "First Day of Grade ___ " sign.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use one of our ESL Spanish speaking teachers to translate all of my papers into Spanish so all parents and children feel included. It has made a huge difference!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to do the 2 truths and a lie activity where everyone write 2 true things about them and one lie. Everyone tries to guess which one is not true.
    ღ Diane
    schoolhousetreasures

    ReplyDelete
  7. I make a flyer all about me to send home with students the first day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE using the Remind app to communicate with parents! It is quick and easy, and there are no papers to lose! :)

    Thanks for the opportunity!
    ~Erin
    Mrs. Beattie’s Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to try out the Remind app to communicate with parents this year. I'm giving out the information to sign up for it along with my contact info on a business card.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Remind app too! Really helpful in communicating with parents!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to try communicating via Class Dojo. I've never used the parent aspect of it before and hope it works well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Building relationships with parents and students is key from the get go. Thanks for the giveaway :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm going to use a Google form for parents to fill out contact and transportation information.

    ReplyDelete