Happy Canada Day Everyone! In honour of Canada Day I though it might be fun to post some Canada trivia and fun facts.
Did you know…
1. We celebrate Canada Day on July 1st to celebrate the signing of the constitution on July 1, 1867 when Canada officially became a single country.
2. Canada has two official languages which are English and French.
3. In Canada we follow the British spelling of certain words including: favourite, colour, centre, mum, behaviour, favour, neighbour, theatre, and litre.
4. Canada is the second largest country in the world with a surface area of 9, 984,670 sq. km.
5. Canada has a Prime Minster, not a President. Our current Prime Minister’s name is Justin Trudeau.
6. The Canadian coins are called the: toonie, loonie, quarter, dime, and nickel. Canada phased out the penny in 2012.
7. The name Canada came from the Huron-Iroquois word ‘Kanato’ meaning a village or settlement.
8. The territory of Nunavut was formed on April 1, 1999.
9. The first Prime Minister of Canada was Sir John A. Macdonald.
10. The highest mountain peak in Canada is Mount Logan it has an unknown elevation of between 5959 to 6050 metres and is located the Yukon territory.