Sunday, November 20, 2016

Create Story Board Games Instead of Book Reports

As some of my blog readers may know from previous posts, I am a huge Robert Munsch fan! He is my all time favourite children's authors, and my class is currently in the middle of my Robert Munsch unit. Each day we read a different Robert Munch story and then we do an activity to go with that story that centres around story elements, cause and effect, sequence of events, proper paragraph writing, or another literary skill. Last week we read the story 'David's Father' and each student made a board game inspired by this favourite Robert Munch story. The students really loved playing their board games with their classmates after they were finished! After reading the story we went over the sequence of events as a class and then we generated fun ideas as a class as to what could be included from the story that would be fun to include on the board game. After that we talked about different things you might see on a board game for example: cards, money, game pieces, squares that say "go back three places", ladders you can fall down... ect. The creation of the board games took my students 3 work periods (a shorter time that I would have thought), and they were anxious to get started playing the games even when the games were incomplete they wanted to get playing. We used bingo chips as player markers, and I had dice from math games in the cupboard. I highly recommend this fun activity it was engaging, cross curricular, and fun! 

No comments :

Post a Comment