Saturday, April 15, 2017

We were Inspired by Van Gogh's Sunflowers

On a rainy afternoon this past week I decided to have my students do some colourful Van Gogh art to hopefully invite Spring to start soon here on the beautiful West Coast of Canada. I started off the lesson by explaining who Van Gogh was and I used a short video made by ‘Free School’ called ‘Vincent Van Gogh a Short Biography for Kids’. We then had a short discussion about what we learned about Van Gogh from the film and connections we had made to Van Gogh and where we had seen his art. 

We then moved on to drawing our versions of Van Gogh’s ‘Sunflowers’ using pencil. As a class I directed the students to first draw the table or horizon and then the vase and then the flowers. I reminded students that this is their art and although we are being inspired by Van Gogh and his very famous painting we are creating our own art and we are welcome to add, subtract, or make different. 


After the drawings were complete, we used pastels to add colour to our art. I’m really impressed with how our art went! I am hoping with some colourful sunflowers decorating the classroom walls we will be inviting Spring and some warmer weather to our community! 

For more ideas about bringing some colourful art into your classroom check out my Elements of Art Unit. This comprehensive unit includes a poster, lesson, and art project for each of the 7 elements of art and a set of task cards that includes more ideas about teaching art and additional art activities you can use in your classroom. 

Jessicca 

1 comment :